This super couple incorporated a love for Marvel comics into their spring wedding day.
From Marco’s Captain America shirt (his groomsmen all wore different comic-themed shirts including Batman and Superman) to his colorful Lego-figure superhero boutonniere (his groomsmen also wore coordinating superhero boutonnieres), this groom went all out and rocked the look!
Angelica and Marco, who met in high school and reconnected a few years later, married in front of 250 guests at Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Sacramento. The groom’s family priest officiated.
In a family tradition, both of Angelica’s parents gave her away, as did the groom’s parent.
“The ceremony was a little nerve-racking as we decided not to see each other beforehand, but it definitely was an emotional reveal,” says Angelica, noting she was “at ease” once she and Marco said their vows.
Marco was in awe of his bride as she walked down the aisle. “She looked so beautiful,” he says. “All the stress and nerves that I had instantly went away once I saw her.”
The “fresh, spring” color scheme was purple, green and cream. The bride’s bouquet was wrapped with the rosary her grandmother used at her own wedding.
After the ceremony, the couple shot wedding photos in downtown Sacramento, having lots of fun, especially with those comic book poses from the guys!
The reception at Tsakopoulos Library Galleria was modern but showcased vintage flair. An old typewriter was displayed at the sign-in table. The couple designed their own centerpieces with old books – different stacks for each table. Angelica, a teacher and “huge bibliophile” (book lover), had collected the books for over a year. Guests got to take the books home as favors.
The couple, who dated six years before getting engaged, incorporated Mexican traditions into their day like the Money Dance and “La Vibora de la Mar,” known as “the snake of the sea,” a dance where the single women clasp hands and run under the bride’s veil for luck, in a long snake-like line. Next the bouquet is thrown.
“Our family is very musical and as a gift to me and my new husband, my sister and nephew sang along with our mariachi band, while my brother and younger nephew played guitar,” says Angelica. “It was truly a special moment for me to see them up there, showing us their love.”
There was even more music though, when Angelica serenaded her groom.
“I am a singer and have had the opportunity to serenade many couples on their wedding day, but singing to my own husband was such an amazing feeling,” she says. “Seeing his face as I poured out my heart through song was one of the highlights of my night.”
Angelica & Marco's Wedding Resources
"Te Quiero Mama" by Marco Antonio Solis
"La Vibora de la Mar (Mexican tradition)"
"La Vibora de la Mar (Mexican tradition)"
- A special moment was when I serenaded my new husband with a song. I am a singer and have had the opportunity to serenade many couples on their wedding day, but singing to my own husband was such an amazing feeling. Seeing his face as I poured out my heart through song was one of the highlights of my night.
- Our family is very musical, and as a gift to me and my new husband, my sister and nephew sang along with our mariachi (band), while my brother and younger nephew played guitar. It was truly a special moment for me to see them up there, showing us their love.
- Relles Florist was so amazingly helpful throughout the entire process. They even allowed us to create amazing DIY centerpieces using their studio space and flowers, sat with us to design the bouquets and boutonnieres to our liking, and even created a beautiful custom cake topper out of flowers for us! They are hands down, the most friendly, creative and talented florist in town!
- Bride: Make sure that as you are planning, you remember that this is a day that is supposed to be special for you. You will never be able to please everyone, someone is bound to complain, so focus on making it special for you. Make sure to take a moment for just you and your partner to hide away for a few minutes to sip champagne and relax alone. Lastly, make sure to stop every once in a while and take it all in because the night flies by and before you know it, all you have are the memories!
- Groom: Make sure you eat BEFORE the party! It’s a long night and trust me, there are a million things that interrupt your meal. Also, even though it is hard, it is your wedding and you should have the wedding that you want because it goes by so fast, so enjoy it!