A quick glance at Nichole and Daniel’s photos will make it easy to believe they met at a science fiction convention. Cosplay enthusiast Nichole and artist Daniel hit it off immediately after saying hello, and though they dated for just over a year and a half before getting engaged, Nichole wasn’t at all surprised when Daniel proposed at the summit of Bear Mountain in Felton. “I had a slight feeling this was the day. We had the cart before the horse and had already talked about where we would be married,” says Nichole. “He held my hand most of the train ride, and I could feel it getting wet as we got closer to the top.” After Daniel proposed by the redwoods, they spent a year planning their amazingly unique themed wedding.
Nichole says they gave their guests a choice of themes for the day, encouraging everyone to dress as they wanted from an elf-inspired wooded theme, a steampunk theme, or a colorful Mad Hatter theme. “Some people said we’d regret it, but as sci-fi geeks, we’ll always remember it as the day our friends took a walk in our word with us,” adds Nichole. Details to support their themes abounded at the celebration: a steam train carried guests to the ceremony, Nichole’s bouquet was draped in forest greenery, and even their bright, three-tiered cake was topped with a teacup that once belonged to Daniel’s mother.
The couple relied on more than just their extraordinary themes to entertain the guests, beginning with the steam train ride to the ride to the top of Bear Mountain, for which they hired an acoustic Celtic band. “They were fantastic! I could hear them all the way from the caboose,” says Nichole. “The ladies and I were stomping our feet as they played.” The reception was also full of surprises, like a bouncy castle and wonderland-themed skeleton key bottle openers as wedding favors. But the final surprise came at the end of the night when Nichole and Daniel treated their guests to an over-the-top fire dancing show. “They ate, twirled, breathed and threw fire into the night sky,” says Nichole. “What a night!” Despite the amazing show, however, Nichole says that one of the best parts of the celebration was a small moment together with Daniel immediately after the ceremony. “Riding down the mountain with Daniel’s hand in mine, listening to the sweet, acoustic melodies of Caliban ringing through the redwood forest has to be one of my top favorite moments,” she says.
After an energetic and creativity-filled celebration, Nichole and Daniel swapped the mountains for the beach and headed to Hawaii for their tropical honeymoon. “It was beautiful and now I want to live there,” says Nichole. “Seriously, we should all move there!”
Nichole & Daniel's Wedding Resources
Phone: (916) 393-6551
2. Rin's Bridal (Steampunk theme)
3. Haute Bride (Ceremony dress)
4. David's Bridal (Mad Hatter theme)
Fire Fox Fashions (Reversible coat & tails)
Geek Girl Stuff (Elven ear cuffs)
(Captain's jacket, pirate shirt & leather pants)
Fire Fox Fashions (Coat & tails)
Ravenswood Leather (Pirate shirts)
Ravenswood Leather (pirate shirt)
2. Bay Area Jump (bounce houses)
3. Fire Pixie Entertainment (fire-eaters and acrobats)
4. Crown Fellowhip & Artofactory (jewelry)
• Royal Kona Resort in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
• Aqua Palms in Waikiki, Oahu
We ordered three cakes for our wedding due to allergies and dietary needs of our guests. They were all beautiful and tasted amazing.
We did skeleton keys with hearts at the top as favors that doubled as bottle openers so our guests got something practical they could reuse as well as chocolate.
Our wedding was a three-day event of pure magic. I spent a year planning, designing, booking vendors and creating one of a kind DIY moments for us and our guests. We packed up on Friday the 7th and headed out to Villa Viscaya, a mansion on the bluffs above La Selva beach, where we and our wedding party would be staying for the weekend.
I love to be able to say, all of our vendors were great! As for raving about them:
• Tempest/Caliban what can I say other then I love these folks so so much. They waited on their vacation to do our wedding and I can’t thank them enough. They went above and beyond for us to make sure our music was perfect both on and off the train. I couldn’t have been more delighted to have them playing on our special day.
• OMG Lolita Vasquez photography was amazing. From morning until night, this wonderful lady worked hard to capture everything I had planned and put into motion. She was kind, listened and really enveloped herself in our day. She took the time to listen to exactly what we wanted and our pictures reflect that in every way. I can’t imagine it with any other photographer.
• Jake Newby Productions is second to none. For the videos we got we should have paid him ten times more. The production value is amazing, we looked like we were in a movie. He gave us exactly what we wanted and so so much more then we asked for. He immersed himself in our day and it shows in the videos. Every part of our day was magical and they didn’t rest until we did.
• Fire Pixie Entertainment is just WOW. Their 30-minute fire show was amazeballs. Their high energy show of eating, twirling, breathing fire was exhilarating! The lifts, the acrobats, WHAT A TEAM!
• Villa Viscaya was every girls dream come true. I felt like a true princess, royalty for sure. Every room has an ocean view and every part of that estate is well taken care of. The piano that plays itself was the most amazing part. We listened to Beethoven while we popped champagne overlooking the Pacific Ocean, a fantastic memory forever burned into my mind. AMAZING.
• Roaring Camp is an amazing event space. It is very DIY so be prepared to bring a lot or have a lot of vendors, IT IS WORTH IT! The train ride, the classic old town and the delicious food more then make up for the extra work this venue requires. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
• First Impressions Transportation was out of this world. The stretch caddy was super clean, stocked with what we asked for and had great lighting features. I loved the way they worked with us to split our time up on the day of the wedding. Thank you SAM!
• Karla’s Kreations is a wonderful business run by a wonderful lady. She took all my ideas and photos and ran with it. The mad hatter reception was just the way I saw it in my head. Thank you so much for bringing my vision to reality.
• Buttercup Cakes and Farmhouse Frosting is awesome! We ordered three cakes for our wedding from them due to allergies and dietary needs of our guests. They were all beautiful and tasted amazing. Try the horchata, yum!
• Daniel and I designed our own invitations. We purchased an invitation packet off line from cards and pockets in white and lavender colors. Daniel created the art for our invitations and I sculpted the words.
• My mom, Durlyn and I did the place cards, favors, chocolates, stuffed envelopes, sent reminders and handled the vendors from booking to day of event.
It was so much work, however work and time well spent. Our day was amazing, our weekend filled with laughter, fun and frolic and our lives will never be the same.
• One is don’t settle for what other people want or dream for your wedding. Do EXACTLY what you want to do without regret. Don’t let society, parents or friends change your mind, it’s YOUR day.
• And two, once the day starts – if something doesn’t work or a vendor doesn’t show, treat it like the theater, the show must go on. Don’t let anything stand in your way of enjoying your day. You put too much love, care and work to let it go down the drain for anything or anyone.