We recently asked Wedding Planning Pro Lora Ward from A Day To Remember Wedding and Event Planners for some tips to help brides achieve a more blissful wedding planning process – and, she’s graciously agreed to be a guest blogger on our site!
So here’s her first entry: Five Mistakes to Avoid During the Wedding Planning Process:
1. Wedding Gown Delivery Date – don’t give your exact wedding date to the bridal gown salon. Request (insist) that your gown be delivered at least two weeks prior to your actual wedding date. Mistakes in ordering, delivery problems or alterations could take longer than expected. Peace of mind is everything!
2. A “friend of a friend” – don’t get swayed by a good pitch or a price that’s too good to be true. Hire a professional vendor (whether it’s a photographer, caterer, florist or DJ), as they are prepared and can handle any unusual situation and have experience “walking the walk.” You cannot repeat your wedding day so don’t set yourself up for possible failure and regret.
3. The “B” word (Budget) – weddings, like home construction, almost always cost more than you originally planned. If you have an absolute set amount, research every expense in advance, don’t wait until the moment of hiring as you’ll be up against the wall, then. Track every dime, and keep the head count manageable.
4. Hair and make-up scheduling – like the first doctor appointment of the morning, if it runs late, you’ll spend hours trying to catch up to run on schedule. Set the appointment with your stylist/artist far earlier in the day than you think; communicate with the stylist/artist exactly what services are needed and don’t throw in any last minute services… you’ll run late!
5. Private/Professional Planner vs. Facility Coordinator – don’t assume the person who walks the floor at your event is also your personal wedding planner. While he/she can be and often are very helpful to you, he/she works for “the house.” They will take great care of the staff, the meal service and other details of the facility (and are often taking care of those same details in another part of the building for a second event). Services you’ll need throughout the planning of your wedding (sometimes a year long process) needs more than just the facility coordinator. Remember, a successful wedding depends on excellent planning.
About A Day To Remember Wedding and Event Planners:
A Day to Remember Wedding and Event Planners believes planning the wedding of your dreams should be just like falling in love… joyful and effortless!
Your wedding will have a myriad of details that a professional consultant and wedding planner will have the experience to deal with, and the knowledge to implement. A Day to Remember Wedding and Event Planners listen to your wishes and concerns, offering guidance and providing peace of mind.
Based in Sacramento, California, A Day to Remember Wedding and Event Planners have 25 years experience coordinating and planning special events in the Northern California area, including the Greater Sacramento area, Napa Valley, Sierra Foothills/Gold Country and Lake Tahoe and are available for travel to your destination. They are here to help you plan and coordinate a worry-free wedding that will be memorable, exciting, unique and romantic.
Photo above of cover model finalist Theresa Garcia by Jodi Yorston Photography, dress by Alfred Angelo, flowers by Ambience Floral Design and hair/make-up by Nevaeh Boutique, Spa, Salon. Shot on location at Cosmo Cafe.