Couples choose to elope for many different reasons: The intimacy, the cost-effectiveness, the romance, the lets-avoid-family-drama component or even the time-efficiency. No matter the reason, it’s perfectly reasonable to still want a post elopement celebration, similar to a traditional wedding reception.
Amy JG Habicht with Tan Weddings and Events has some amazing tips on how to create a celebration appropriate for your elopement, because there are special things to consider that make this celebration different than a traditional reception.
- Hire a planner. Your celebration should allow you to truly celebrate your recent elopement with your new spouse, your family and your friends. A planner or coordinator will take on any daunting tasks – and associated stress – so you can in fact celebrate.
- Although you’ve chosen to elope, chances are you will want to capture the special occasion with photos and video. Be sure to incorporate language within your contracts with your photographer and videographer that your photos/videos will be done in time for your celebration. You will want to share your photos/videos at your event, and your friends and family will be so glad that you did.
- Consider wearing something different at your celebration. The mood, season, location or atmosphere will likely be different than at your elopement. Choose to wear something fitting for the different occasions. Choose something to fit the spirit of each separate event.
- It’s ok to keep with tradition. You may have chosen to have a private ceremony, but your celebration can still include elements of a traditional wedding: Toasts, prayers, sand ceremonies, blessings, etc. Your guests will be grateful to not only celebrate with you, but also witness even a small symbolic gesture.
- Bring components of your elopement into the celebration. For example, if you and your space enjoyed donuts and coffee the day of your elopement, maybe you have a donut and coffee bar at your celebration. Were certain flowers a part of your ceremony? Perhaps you decorate with the same type of flowers at your celebration. This is a simple way to bring these two joyous occasions together.
Whatever the reason for your elopement, trust that your friends and family will be supportive and would love the opportunity to celebrate with you.
For more information about Tan Weddings and Events, call 530-601-0915 or log on to, Tanweddingsandevents.com.
And, make sure to follow Tan Weddings and Events on Facebook at Facebook.com/TanWeddingsandEvents.
Subscribe to the Real Weddings Magazine Blog! Click here: